Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Outsmarting a bad pattern, Vogue 8657



I bought this pattern a while ago. Why? I don't know. The nice drape must distracted my attention away from that tie belt. The only thing I would ever wear with a tie like that is my bathrobe. And I would only wear that in public if my house was burning down.



Still, something intrigued me about this pattern. Many times I pulled it out to look at it only to set it aside again. When I read the reviews on PR, I had even more misgivings about it. Rarely have I seen a pattern with worse reviews: poorly drafted sleeves, misplaced snaps, fronts falling open and, worst of all, it's entirely self lined and required three yards for the sleeveless version!

I decided to make a muslin with an old sheet. But first, the FBA needed to be done. Not one but two, since its asymmetrical. It was getting late and I decided to put it aside and leave those FBAs for the morning. Then I had a brainstorm. You know, one of those ideas you have to write down in case you forget it by morning! Morning came and the idea was still rushing to get out: I had decided to make two lefts, one FBA and no tie. I did a narrow hem on on the front, neck and lower edges and finished the armholes with bias. Then I sewed the center fronts wrong sides together and just let the front fall where it may.





I really like how it turned out. Its cool and breezy and perfect for this hot weather. Not bad for a dog pattern and an old sheet!

6 comments:

  1. I think it is lovely! Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to show that pattern who's in charge. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah! I sure showed that tissue paper who's the boss!!

      Delete
  3. Love your ideas, and the top looks wonderful! I really like that blouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I plan on a couple more.

      Delete