Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Bizarre fabric deserves a bizarre pattern

Both this fabric and pattern were inherited from Gwen's stash. I like to think that she intended for the two of them to go together. Some people might think this fabric is ugly. Here's a close up so you can judge for yourself.

I wore this to Starbucks and noticed this gal couldn't keep her eyed off it. I was thinking how stylish I looked and she was thinking damn, that lady's got a lot of cats!!

The pattern is the Sewing Workshop's Deja Vu Wrap

It is cut from one big Moby Dick looking piece with extra parts for the pockets and binding. 

The instructions have mark you the pattern with 5 different colored tailors tacks. You would seriously get lost without them. It seams like it took longer to cut out than to sew it. I made a size small. I took it to a sewing group meeting where a bunch of the ladies tried it on & everyone liked it. At least, they said they did!

I would make this again if the right fabric came along.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Catching Up

I've got a lot of catching up to do, so lets get started...
When I made these next few garments I had decided to try something new: make things that go together!! I know, what a concept!

I still use and love my homemade iPhone app for organizing my fabric and patterns, but once in a while I like to take all my fabric out to look at it and then re-fold it  I made some coordinated piles then tricked my husband into choosing one. Sure enough, he chose my least favorite, but fate is fate and you shouldn't mess with it. I'm not a huge fan of the green, and why I had so much of it I didn't know. Oh wait, I could see they were mostly from the free table or the thrift store. I knew I didn't buy that fabric!

I started with this heavy four way stretch olive green jersey from the Salvation Army. I envisioned something classic like a St. John or Butte Knit suit. I was going to use Simplicity 2154, but some evil demon made me go with McCalls 6708. It was a total wadder!!! Then I did what I always do with patterns that don't work out: I threw it out! Why try to fix it when I've got 300 other patterns I could be spending my time with?

Instead of Jackie Kennedy....

I got Jackie Gleeson.

I din't get my suit but I did make a skirt from my TNT knit skirt pattern Butterick 5539. Because of the weight and stretch of the fabric (which is what was probably behind it making such a horrible cardigan) the skirt gets longer and longer when you wear it, which is okay since it's getting colder and darker everyday.

Next, I revisited the Textile Studio Santa Monica Tee. I thought I didn't like raglan sleeves but I guess I was wrong about that. I really like this pattern. Its quick to sew up and doesn't require the fiddly application of a neckband. (Ditto for The Textile Studio's Monaco Tee.) The first fabric is a cotton interlock from the free table. I think the pattern runs a bit small in the body although the sleeves are too wide for my taste. After a bit of tweaking, I'll be putting this in my Pattern Hall of Fame right next to the Textile Studio's Monaco Tee.

Naturally, I made another one. This one is an ITY knit I got last summer at Haberman Fabrics. I was a bit short on the yardage so I pieced the sleeves by adding cuffs. I like it better than the other one!

My final green garment is is so incredible it deserves its own blog post. Get ready!!