Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Dressing Gown: Butterick 6176

A couple of months ago, my daughter and I did some actual retail shopping. I noticed two ladies who appeared to be wearing a beach cover up over their street clothes. My daughter told me it was 'a thing'. Well, I think it looks a bit strange to wear a beech cover up over your street clothes, but instantly, I realized I had just bought a pattern for that same garment! It seems like one of those fast fashion trends that will quickly be on its way out and will soon be showing up at the thrift stores.

I used the pattern (Butterick 6176) to make a dressing gown for my daughter out of my strange cocker spaniel/ Stanley cup fabric. Its a crepey, medium weight rayon. Only 35 inches wide, only fumes were left when I finished.

I added carriers, a belt, interior ties and side vents. I finished the neck and front edge with lime green bias tape for a little pop of color again the tan fabric. I sewed the sleeves in flat versus the instructions which have you sew the lower portion of the side seam, then set the sleeve in. I think that's a bit strange for a kimono sleeve. I made the length halfway between view C an D.

My daughter is happy with it, it's a nice weight for summer and its already makeup colored so you don't have to worry about stains. I'm happy because I have found a purpose for this crazy fabric.

Sunday, August 9, 2015


What the fabric!

This is the fabric I'm working with right now. It came from a yard sale. It's a hideous color and has a very strange print. It has....

Allstate Hands 


Cocker Spaniels


The Stanley Cup!!

If your eyes aren't broken yet, take a look at this fabric I saw at Joann's this week:


That's what you're calling your company?

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Welcome back Y2K: Vogue 8907

I bought this pattern (Vogue 8907) intending to make view B but never got around to it. Recently though, when looking through my pattern hoard, I noticed view C and I was, like, OMG!!! It's just like one of my favorite tops I ever made: Style 2891

Image result for style patterns 2891
I had made it with fabric I bought on my honeymoon in Aruba in 2000. I loved that top. It was a sad day when it no longer fit and we had to part. Thankfully, I still have my husband and he still wears the shirt I made him from the same fabric.

Though this was intended to be just a wearable muslin, I really love this top. I love orange! The fabric is a slubby polyester linen look-a-like inherited from Gwen.

It was a bit wrinkled the day we took these photos (on just as beautiful as Aruba Belle Isle) but then the wind blew them right out!

I bought the Lrg-Xlg-Xxl pattern range which is too big for me. I made it smaller by taking an inch out along the front and back centers but then added an inch to the front with an FBA. I also raised the armholes up an inch.  I had pre-washed the fabric and was surprised to see it shrank a bit more and fit better after it was washed.

Hopefully there will be enough summer left for another one!