Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Dressing Gown: Butterick 6176



A couple of months ago, my daughter and I did some actual retail shopping. I noticed two ladies who appeared to be wearing a beach cover up over their street clothes. My daughter told me it was 'a thing'. Well, I think it looks a bit strange to wear a beech cover up over your street clothes, but instantly, I realized I had just bought a pattern for that same garment! It seems like one of those fast fashion trends that will quickly be on its way out and will soon be showing up at the thrift stores.



I used the pattern (Butterick 6176) to make a dressing gown for my daughter out of my strange cocker spaniel/ Stanley cup fabric. Its a crepey, medium weight rayon. Only 35 inches wide, only fumes were left when I finished.



I added carriers, a belt, interior ties and side vents. I finished the neck and front edge with lime green bias tape for a little pop of color again the tan fabric. I sewed the sleeves in flat versus the instructions which have you sew the lower portion of the side seam, then set the sleeve in. I think that's a bit strange for a kimono sleeve. I made the length halfway between view C an D.



My daughter is happy with it, it's a nice weight for summer and its already makeup colored so you don't have to worry about stains. I'm happy because I have found a purpose for this crazy fabric.
 

1 comment:

  1. I saw this trend in London this summer and even bought myself one at retail pricing!! You are right, it's the perfect way to use "unusual" fabric and I'm finishing up a third version to see if I can wear it before the trend goes "poof" and disappears. I think the print on this is hoot!!

    ReplyDelete