Wednesday, June 15, 2016

It was all a big lie!

The room for sewing was never a room at all. It was a half a basement. Although it was conveniently close to the washer and dryer, it didn't have any windows or ambiance. And it was a constant challenge keeping my chair from sliding into the sewer drain. I imagine there's about a million pins in in that drain now.

I've had some bittersweet news. The bitter part is that this person who's been in the next room from me now for 26 years is moving out to a place of her own. The sweet part is that I get to move my sewing room out of the basement into her bedroom. It's bit smaller than the space I have now but it has windows! And  a closet!! I'm really excited about the change. We are painting, and I even bought a little futon so I can take a nap in the sewing room.  I'm sure it'll be a lot nicer to work up there than in the basement.

On the health front, I've got what I hope is good news. I have sleep apnea and will be getting a CPAP machine. They've had a theory for a while that my headaches are caused by chronically poor sleep. I pray this is the answer.

And I pray for less hate in the world.

 Dear Jane:
I have every confidence in you.
And some advice:
Don't drink too much.
Don't spend too much.
Love yourself.
Make a difference.
Love, Mom.

Sunday, June 5, 2016

I Sewed Something!!

Its too tight!

Its just right.

This is my granddaughter Ruby. She just turned two. As you can see, she is quite a character. Her mom asked me if I could make her a sunbonnet for her birthday. I said yes, but then I wondered where I'd get a pattern for one. Are those Daisy Kingdom patterns still around?

Well, I had recently bought a stack of these magazines at an estate sale for a whole quarter:

And I found this in one:
If you can make it out, the first line of the article says " Sunbonnets are in again!!" Really? 1977?
I was in high school and I don't remember anyone wearing one. But it was a public school!

So anyway, its not much, but I did sew something. I'm still depressed and I still have a headache everyday, But there is something super exciting happening in the Room for Sewing soon!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Please don't stop following me

It's a comfort to me just to know my world is still out there waiting for me to rejoin it.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Again and Again

I saw potential in this Vogue (1467) pattern when I made it up the first time last month. I thought it would look nice done up in black ponte. I was glad to find I had enough Black Sophia in the hoard to pull it off. Then I received the challenge from one of my sewing groups: lace insertion. And I thought, perfect! I got the stretch lace from JoAnns, freestyle cut it out, zigzagged it onto the back then cut away the extra fabric. So now I have this cool jacket that makes me feel like a bad ass and I have a new dust rag.

I've also made up two more Santa Monica Tees. I am not tired of it yet. Not even close!

Saturday, January 16, 2016

I'm Rich!!

No, I didn't win the lottery, but I do have a lot of patterns. I ordered some new ones from Style Arc (4), which I'm really excited about, and in the meantime I couldn't resort some new Vogues(5) on sale. That means 9 new patterns will be joining the 280 I already have.
Poor me though, I only have 83 pieces of fabric.

Friday, January 15, 2016

2015 recap

It's January 14 and high time I finally did my 2015 year-end recap. I've been putting it off because, frankly, 2015 was not a good year for me. I spent way more time in the hospital or going to doctor appointments that I did in the sewing room. I spent a lot more time laying on the couch thinking about sewing and crafting than actually doing either. I did manage to make four cardigans, 10 blouses, a wall hanging, some whales, two pairs of pants, a dress sloper and a dress, three jackets, five skirts, a dressing gown for my daughter, pajama pants for my husband and 11 T-shirts. My favorite make was this orange top, ironically the last thing I made before I the terrible thing happened.

And of course, I love all my Textile Studio Santa Monica tees. That is my Pattern of the Year.

Looking ahead to 2016 I have a couple things finished that I need to photograph and post about yet.  What I would really like to do this year is combine my love for textiles with jewelry making.

I have had a pretty complete recovery from the stroke but still have issue with almost daily headaches. So whoever it is that had the little Katherine doll, please take the pin out of its head. Thanks!!

Monday, December 21, 2015

Pattern of the Year and the Blue Bear

I have lost track of how many of these tops I've made, but it seems like I've been wearing one every day. The Textile Studio Santa Monica Tee: My Pattern of the Year for 2015. Incidentally, I'd have to say their Monaco tee was pattern of the year last year.
I'm holding a little bear I made for Hospice of Michigan. They are sewn by volunteers from the clothing of a person who has passed away and given as a keepsake to the bereaved family. God has given sewing to me as my gift to serve others and I hope to make many more  bears this next year.