Finding temporal, real and metaphysical space for creative expression.
My 2015 Resolution: To sew garments that coordinate with each other and what's already in my wardrobe & to not waste time on things I don't love.
Saturday, June 22, 2013
Old fabric finds a purpose
This fabric has been in my stash a really, really long time. It's a slightly transparent crepe with a border print of vacationers. Though I liked it, somehow it never seemed quite right for any project.
But with my recent interest in lingerie making combined with flipping through my "homemade" iPhone app, I put two and two together and came up with "I can make a robe out of it!"
Its Vogue 8888. It was a nice easy project and I took my time making it. Because of the border, its all cut on the crosswise grain. Since I was a little short on fabric, I didn't put the pockets in it and used ribbon for the belt carriers and for the interior ties. The pattern calls for french seams but I serged them. I dyed the trim for the sleeves to match with colorhue dye (which I also bought a long time ago and never used before. It's and instant set silk dye which works on rayon too)
There are two interesting aspects to the pattern: the tie ends are enclosed in a tucks on the back. I'm not sure if I like that or not. You have to be careful how you tie the interior ties in the front or the back gets pulled off center. It fine for now, but I don't think I'd do it next time.
The other thing is that the shawl collar is attached seperately, not cut on like I usually see. And you are supposed to interface both the upper and under collar. I think I'd tend to only interface the under collar next time.
All in all I've really enjoyed making and wearing this robe. Its so nice to not have to make any adjustments to a pattern and I'm super glad I was able to finally make something I like so much with this fabric.