I have been known to garden in a skirt, but really shorts are better. Weed pulling shorts don't even have to look good, but they should have pockets. Since I made myself a solemn promise to never wear this pair outdoors, I made this pair:
When I made the muslin, I foolishly followed the directions and inserted the elastic through a casing with a bodkin. There's a reason I hadn't done it that way in 25 years. Because its a pain in the ass. I plead temporary insanity. I regained my faculties and used the zipper foot method when I made this pair. If you're not familiar with the method, here's how.
After that, I was on a roll. My husband wanted some summer PJs so I made him 3 pairs. I used sheeting from my muslin collection for two of them. Then I used the ugliest fabric in my hoard for the third. I don't know why I never thought of it before: make stuff for other people with your ugly fabric! I felt just like The Selfish Seamstress. God, I miss her!